Home » Archive of journals » Issue 1(29) 2018 » Possible environmental consequences of the economic development of the northern territories of the Far East of Russia
POSSIBLE ENVIRONMENTAL CONSEQUENCES OF THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF THE NORTHERN TERRITORIES OF THE FAR EAST OF RUSSIAJOURNAL: 2018, ¹1(29), p. 26-36
AUTHORS: Stepanko N.G., Stepanko A.A., Tkachenko G.G.
ORGANIZATIONS: Pacific Geographical Institute of the Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
The article was received on: 24.08.2017
Keywords: Arctic zone, Far East, pollution, mineral resource base, nature management, nature management, economic activity, ecology, efficiency of nature protection activity
Bibliographic description: Stepanko N.G., Stepanko A.A., Tkachenko G.G. Possible environmental consequences of the economic development of the northern territories of the Far East of Russia. The Arctic: ecology and economy, 2018, no. 1(29), pp. 26-36. DOI:10.25283/2223-4594-2018-1-26-36. (In Russian).
The existing system of nature management in some areas of the Far East of the Russian Federation led to the emergence of heavily modified areas, as a result, of economic activity, the depletion of biodiversity, soil and vegetation degradation, the development of erosion processes, and environmental pollution. On the basis of statistical information, calculations and analysis, a characteristic of the ecological status of the territories under consideration is given, the reasons for the ecological disadvantage are revealed. As studies have shown, the main environmental problems in the Far North are water pollution, the formation and storage of solid waste and the organization of unauthorized landfills. In addition to economic activity, the nature management efficiency is, also formed by nature protection activities. Calculations showed that the efficiency of environmental activities in these regions is very low. From the point of view of financial support of activities aimed at reducing the negative impact of production on the environment, either current costs, investments in environmental protection and environmental management, or their structure do not correspond to the necessary. The actual volumes of investment in the environmental protection are incommensurably small in comparison with the economic optimum, as evidenced by the index of economic adequacy of Environmental Activities. The characteristic of possible consequences of development of the basic, perspective for given territories, kinds of economic activities is given. An analysis of the directions of impact of these types of economic activity has shown that the environmental still remains at the third position after the economic and social. While this imbalance in priorities will exist, the ecological crisis will intensify. This can lead to irreversible consequences, which will affect biodiversity, the purity and integrity of the territories under consideration, and most importantly — on the person, his health and living conditions.
1. Reiting regionov RF po kachestvu zhizni — 2015. [Rating of regions of the Russian Federation for the quality of life — 2015]. RIA Reyting. Moscow, 2016, 61 p. Available at: http://vid1.rian.ru/ig/ratings/life_2015.pdf. (In Russian).
2. Obzor sostoyaniya i zagryazneniya okruzhayushchei sredy v Rossiiskoi Federatsii za 2015 god. [Overview of the state and pollution of the environment in the Russian Federation for 2015]. Feder. sluzhba po gidrometeorologii i monitoringu okruzhayushchey sredy (ROSGIDROMET). Moscow, 2016, 203 p. Available at: http://www.meteorf.ru. (In Russian).
3. Stepan’ko N. G. Proizvodstvenno-prirodnye otnosheniya v regionakh Dal’nevostochnogo Severa. [Industrial-natural relations in the Far Eastern North]. Uspekhi sovrem. estestvoznaniya, 2017, no. 4, pp. 120—125. (In Russian).
4. Doklad ob ekologicheskoi situatsii v Respublike Sakha (Yakutiya). [Report on the environmental situation in the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia)]. Available at: https://minpriroda.sakha.gov.ru/gosdoklady-o-sostojanii-okruzhajuschej-sredy. (In Russian).
5. Regiony Rossii: Sotsial’no-ekonomicheskie pokazateli: Stat. sb. [Regions of Russia. Socio-economic indicators. 2011, 2016. Stat. Sat. ]. Rosstat. Moscow, 2011, 2016. (In Russian).
6. Kolesnikov S. I. Ekonomika prirodopol’zovaniya: Uchebno-metodicheskoe posobie. [Environmental economics. Teaching-methodical manual]. Rostov n/D., 2000, pp. 14—15. (In Russian).
7. Ob”ekty ucheta gosudarstvennogo kadastra mestorozhdenii. [Objects of the account of the state cadastre of deposits]. Feder. agentstvo po nedropol’zovaniyu (Rosnedra). “Rosgeolfond”. Available at: http://www.rfgf.ru/gkm/. (In Russian).
8. Tkachenko G. G. Territorial’naya diff erentsiatsiya mestorozhdenii mineral’no-resursnogo syr’ya Vostoka Arkticheskoi zony Rossii. [Territorial diff erentiation of deposits of mineral resources in the East of the Arctic zone of Russia]. Geosistemy i ikh komponenty v Severo-Vostochnoy Azii: evolyutsiya i dinamika prirodnykhm prirodno-resursnykh i sotsialno-ekonomicheskikh otnosheniy. Vladivostok, Dalnauka, 2016, pp. 557—564. (In Russian).
9. InvestYakutiya. Available at: http://investyakutia.com/map. (In Russian).
10. Strategiya sotsial’no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya Chukotskogo avtonomnogo okruga do 2030 goda. [Strategy of social and economic development of the Chukotka Autonomous Okrug until 2030]. Available at: http://chukotka.rf/power/priority_areas/priorities_for_development/development-strategy.php. (In Russian).
11. Ekonomiko-matematicheskii slovar’: Zelenyi rost. [Economic and mathematical dictionary. Green growth]. Available at: http://economic_mathematics.academic.ru. (In Russian).
© 2011-2019 The Arctic: ecology and economy