Home » Archive of journals » Issue 1(29) 2018 » Prospective technical means of personnel evacuation from emergency offshore oil and gas platforms in arctic conditions
PROSPECTIVE TECHNICAL MEANS OF PERSONNEL EVACUATION FROM EMERGENCY OFFSHORE OIL AND GAS PLATFORMS IN ARCTIC CONDITIONSJOURNAL: 2018, ¹1(29), p. 84-91
RUBRIC: Shipbuilding for the Arctic
ORGANIZATIONS: Krylov State Research Centre
The article was received on: 14.11.2016
Keywords: emergency evacuation of personal, rescue boat, oil&gas marine platforms, lifeboat, launching device
Bibliographic description: Prospective technical means of personnel evacuation from emergency offshore oil and gas platforms in arctic conditions. The Arctic: ecology and economy, 2018, no. 1(29), pp. 84-91. DOI:10.25283/2223-4594-2018-1-84-91. (In Russian).
The most important responsible stage of the marine rescue operation in case of accidents of offshore structures, in particular of oil and gas platforms, is the emergency evacuation of personnel. It becomes necessary with a catastrophic loss of stability, the destruction of supporting structures or the inability to withstand the consequences of an explosion and a fire. The success of the evacuation, in turn, is completely determined by the adequacy of the appropriate technical means to the wind, wave and ice conditions under which the accident develops. Their design, production and operation are subject to the current international and domestic regulatory documentation, which, however, shows a clear orientation towards ensuring the evacuation of people in open water conditions. It is clear that the advanced technologies for emergency evacuation should not contradict the provisions of the current documents. However, the need for additions to the parameters of lifeboats and rescue boats, as well as their launching devices, taking into account the conditions of the Arctic operation of oil and gas platforms, is also obvious. Analysis of regulatory documentation leads to the conclusion that scientific and technical and design solutions for life-saving appliances and their launch devices have been virtually mirrored transferred from the “vessel to the platform.” At the same time, high risks were noticed beyond the limits of attention at a high altitude of boat’s launching with people using gravitational cable systems, including in strong winds and waves. Accordingly, there is a need to search for scientific, technical and design solutions that are adequate to the high requirements for the quality of Arctic evacuation systems, in which the main responsible elements are the boats as collective evacuation facilities and their descents. The conceptual basis for creating Arctic emergency evacuation facilities are the two main criteria for their effectiveness. The first is to ensure the safe placement of people in a temporary shelter aboard the platform; the second is to ensure the successful transportation of personnel to the safety zone of the emergency offshore oil&gas platform. The second criterion is realized when transporting people on the water or ice surface to a safe distance from the emergency platform, equal to several hundred meters, and further positioning in anticipation of the general salvage. Within this concept, the energy resource of the main engine of an amphibious lifeboat should be designed for short-term action, and the resulting cargo capacity can be used to improve the habitation of the boat and create additional opportunities for survival. As a promising design solution for the launching device, a vertical hydraulic elevator design is proposed, controlled only by positive and negative buoyancy forces.
1. SOLAS-74 (SOLAS-74. Safety of Life at Sea). Available at: http://www.conventions.ru/view_base.php?id=141.
2. Mezhdunarodnyy kodeks po spasatelnym sredstvam (Kodeks LSA) (LSA Code. Iternational Life-saving Applince Code). [LSA Code. Iternational Life-saving Applince Code]. Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/499032094. (In Russian).
3. RMRS. Pravila po oborudovaniyu morskikh sudov. Ch. II: Spasatelnyye sredstva. [Russian Maritime Register of Shipping. Rules for the equipment of sea-going vessels. Part II. Rescue means]. Available at: http://files.stroyinf.ru/Data2/1/4293751/4293751025.pdf. (In Russian).
4. RMRS. Pravila klassifi katsii. postroyki i oborudovaniya plavuchikh burovykh ustanovok i morskikh statsionarnykh platform. Oborudovaniye PBU / MSP. Chast XVII. Spasatelnyye sredstva. [Russian Maritime Register of Shipping . Rules for the classifi cation, construction and equipment of fl oating drilling rigs and off shore fi xed platforms. Equipment. Part II. Rescue means]. Available at: https://rosexpertpravo.ru/law/Index2/1/4293766/4293766439.htm. (In Russian).
5. RMRS. Rukovodstvo po tekhnicheskomu nablyudeniyu za sudami v ekspluatatsii. [Russian Maritime Register of Shipping. Manual on technical supervision of vessels in operation]. Available at: http://www.rs-class.org/upload/iblock/85d/85d11146a1168e88809e4bb05a857af4.pdf. (In Russian).
6. Sredstva spaseniya ekipazhey inzhenernykh sooruzheniy, ekspluatiruyemykh na akvatoriyakh. kollektivnyye. GOST R 53451-2009. [Means of rescue of crews of the engineering constructions, maintained on water areas, collective]. Available at: http://www.internet-law.ru/gosts/gost/49948/. (In Russian).
7. Rules for Classifi cation and Construction. Germanischer Lloyd 2007. Part 6 Off shore Technology. Section 5 — Life Saving Appliances. Available at: http://rules.dnvgl.com/docs/pdf/gl/maritimerules/gl_iv-6-3_e.pdf.
8. Off shore standard. DNV-OS-E406. Design of Free Fall Lifeboats. April 2010. Available at: https://rules.dnvgl.com/docs/pdf/DNV/codes/docs/2010-04/OSE406.pdf.
9. DNV Standard for Certifi cation no. 2.20. Lifeboats and Rescue Boats. 2007. Available at: https://rules.dnvgl.com/docs/pdf/DNV/stdcert/2007-10/Standard2-20.pdf.
10. DNV Standard for Certifi cation no. 3.320. Sompetence of Fast Rescue Boat Operators. 2009. Available at: https://rules.dnvgl.com/docs/pdf/DNV/stdcert/2009-10/Standard3-320.pdf.
11. Standards for Rescue Boats / Marine safety directorate transport. Canada. Ottawa, 1992.
12. Emergency Response Action Plan — Sevan Driller DSHA 01 — Well Control Problems. Det Norske Veritas (China). Sevan Marine. 2012.
13. Mezhdunarodnyy kodeks dlya sudov, ekspluatiruyushchikhsya v polyarnykh vodakh (Polyarnyy kodeks). [International Code for Ships Operating in Polar Waters (Polar Code)]. Available at: http://www.marstar.spb.ru/morskoe_napravlenie/ocentremarstar/vneshnie_normativnye_dokumenty/polyarnyj_kodeks/. (In Russian).
14. GL Rules VI — Additional Rules and Guidelines. Pt. 2: Life Saving Appliances. Liﬅing Appliances. Chap. 6: Guidelines for Lifeboats and Rescue Boats. Chap. 1: Guidelines for Live-Saving Launching Appliances.
15. Tagiyev R. M. Chto sluchilos na Gyuneshli? // Zhurn.-katalog “Protivopozharnaya zashchita”, 2016, pp. 50—54. Available at: http://www.youblisher.com/p/1327959-%D0%96%D1%83%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BB-%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B
0%D0%BB%D0%BE. (In Russian).
16. Tarovik V. I. Evakuatsiya v Arktike, vyvoz personala s avariynykh morskikh sooruzheniy: Terminologiya i proyektno-tekhnicheskiye resheniya. [Evacuation in the Arctic, the removal of personnel from emergency marine structures. Terminology and design solutions]. Neﬅ egaz.ru, 2016, no. 9. (In Russian).
17. Kosmin S. I., Tarovik V. I., Valdman N. A., Rap M. M. Razvitiye kontseptsii ekstrennoy evakuatsii personala avariynykh morskikh sooruzheniy v arkticheskikh usloviyakh. [Development of the concept of emergency evacuation of personnel of emergency off shore structures in arctic conditions]. 16-y peterburgskiy energeticheskiy forum “Off shore Marintec Russia 2016”. (In Russian).
18. Timofeyev O. Ya., Tarovik V. I., Valdman N. I., Karelin A. A., Rap M. M., Burakova E. A. Kontseptsiya ekstrennogo spaseniya personala s morskikh neﬅ egazovykh obyektov na shelfe. [The concept of emergency rescue of personnel from off shore oil and gas facilities on the shelf]. Tr. 11-y Mezhdunarodnoy konferentsii i vystavki po osvoyeniyu resursov neﬅ i i gaza rossiyskoy Arktiki i kontinentalnogo shelfa stran SNG (RAO / CIS Off shore 2013). St. Petersburg, Khimizdat, 2013, pp. 461—463. (In Russian).
19. Tarovik V. I., Valdman N. I., Pavlovskij V. A., Karelin A. A., Burakova E. A., Rap M. M. Avariynoye spasatelnoye sredstvo dlya ekstrennoy evakuatsii personala s morskikh platform v ledovykh usloviyakh. [Emergency rescue facility for emergency evacuation of personnel from offshore platforms in ice conditions]. Tr. Kryl. gos. nauch. tsentra, 2013, vyp. 74 (358), pp. 107—116. (In Russian).
© 2011-2019 The Arctic: ecology and economy